As the weather turns warmer and the temperatures heat up, spending time outdoors and in nature becomes increasingly popular. Unfortunately, with each turn of the season, millions of individuals are immediately impacted by outdoor and indoor allergies. If you are living in Columbus, Ohio and you are experiencing a range of allergies, it may be time to have your HVAC system inspected, cleaned, and even potentially repaired. The right heating & cooling maintenance company will not only ensure your HVAC system remains in operation year-round, but they will also provide you with the peace of mind you deserve as a homeowner. Professional local heating & cooling maintenance contractors can ensure your unit continues to run smoothly. The right local company can provide the ac installation Columbus residents count on and need.
Common Causes of Allergies
Before you can determine the root trigger of your allergies in the home, it’s important to familiarize yourself with some of the common causes of allergies. Allergies occur when the body’s immune system is subjected to bacteria or other allergens, such as pet dander or pollen. In those with allergies, reactions may be immediate or onset throughout the day. The most common causes of allergies include:
- Allergens: Allergens such as dust, mites, pet dander, and pollen are the most common allergens
- Insects: Being stung by a wasp or a bee can trigger an immune response
- Food: Food allergies are most prevalent among items such as nuts, peanuts, soy fish, wheat, milk, and in some cases, even eggs
- Medications: In some instances, it is possible for an individual to have a reaction to medications, especially those that are penicillin-based
Once you are familiar with the common causes of allergies, it is much easier to determine if you need HVAC or air conditioning services to address the issues you are experiencing.
Symptoms of Allergies
Allergies can come and go with the seasons, or they may only be triggered by particular allergies or foods, depending on the individual. Additionally, it is also important to keep in mind that allergies do not impact all individuals the same. While someone with mild allergies may only experience slight sneezing, someone else who has a bad allergic reaction may be at risk of anaphylaxis. Some common signs and symptoms to watch for in those who are experiencing an allergic reaction to their environment include:
- Itchy nose, eyes, or even the inside (roof) of the mouth
- Swollen and watery eyes
- An increase in sneezing
- Runny or stuffy nose (this may alternate)
- Rashes/itchy skin/wheezing/and swelling are all signs of a more serious allergy.
- Anaphylaxis responses require medication and/or immediate medical treatment
Can Heating and Air Conditioning Trigger Allergies?
Yes. For some individuals, air conditioning can cause everything from a headache to allergies, especially if the HVAC system has not been cleaned or tended to recently. Calling an air conditioner repair company is extremely beneficial if you believe your HVAC system is the culprit of any headaches, allergies, or other reactive conditions you experience whenever you’re inside your home.
Allergens and Chemicals
One of the most prevalent ways in which air conditioning can cause headaches, allergies, and other immune responses involves airborne chemicals and allergens. Even if you clean your home regularly, it is not always easy to keep up with the maintenance required on your HVAC system or the venting system you have throughout your home. According to the EPA, or the Environmental Protection Agency, the inside of any home typically has anywhere between 2 and 5 times the allergens and bacteria or pollutants than when spending time outdoors.
A major culprit of allergies in the home, even with ongoing HVAC maintenance, involves pet dander. If you are the owner of any pet that grows hair, you are at risk of experiencing allergies due to pet dander floating through the house. Using smaller air filters and changing the air filter of your HVAC system regularly is imperative to minimize the buildup of pet dander. When pet dander accumulates, it also has the power to increase the allergic response in the individual who is affected. Proper and ongoing pet care is also highly advisable to minimize shedding and the overgrowth of hair and pet dander itself.
Another potential issue that can occur with any HVAC system is the transfer of toxic airborne illnesses. Once an individual in the home comes down with an illness, it is much more likely that it will pass through the home through any HVAC or ventilation system you have in place. This is also more likely if the system has not been cleaned or maintained regularly, making it a hotspot for potential pollutants and airborne illnesses.
Extremely Cold Temperatures
If you choose to set your HVAC or air conditioning system to an extremely low temperature, it may result in potentially adverse effects. Some individuals find themselves experiencing an increase in headaches whenever their thermostat is set low to keep the home as cool as possible. Cold air without natural fluctuations in temperature has the ability to trigger headaches. Others also report feeling more dehydrated when the temperature is turned too cold. When the temperature of the HVAC system is turned down to low, it will immediately result in drier air, causing those in the environment to quickly become thirsty.
Minimizing Allergy Risks in the Home
Whether you have seasonal allergies or one of the members of your household is constantly reacting to pet dander and airborne illnesses, there are a few ways to go about minimizing the allergy risks throughout your home.
Regularly Clean Your Home’s Carpets
If you want to minimize the buildup of allergens and toxins in your home, it’s important to do so by regularly cleaning and washing the carpets. If you have carpets throughout each room in your home, consider turning to a professional local carpet cleaning solution. Working with professionals who specialize in cleaning carpets is a way to ensure that the carpet in your home remains clean and free from potential allergens at all times.
Most carpet cleaning providers not only offer thorough washing services but also vacuum services as necessary. Vacuuming daily and at least weekly in low-traffic rooms throughout the home is necessary for ongoing maintenance. If you do not have the time to keep up with vacuuming and carpet-washing yourself, turning to the pros is highly recommended. Maintaining your home’s carpets and flooring year-round is also a way to keep pet dander and other traditional allergens from causing allergic outbreaks or reactions.
Replace Air Filters
One of the easiest ways to maintain the HVAC system in your home as a homeowner is to replace air filters frequently. The right filter can help to eliminate up to 99.99% of all pollutants that may cause irritation or allergies for those in your home. Depending on the system you have in place, air filters should be changed at least every 30 days to 6 months. If there is a lot of regular traffic in the home, numerous members of the household, and pets in the home, it is highly advisable to change your air filters more frequently. Even if your HVAC system has a set recommendation, it does not hurt to inspect the air filters in your home regularly to determine when a replacement is necessary.
Call For Professional Furnace Install and Repairs
Working together alongside a professional air conditioning install and repair company is highly advisable whenever you are experiencing trouble with your air HVAC company. A professional HVAC provider will help you to assess and identify potential issues with your HVAC system, including both your furnace and the air conditioning system you have in place.
Having a professional furnace and air conditioner repair company by your side is also a way to determine the best course of action to keep allergens at a minimum in your home. Those who specialize in HVAC installations, repairs, and upgrades are well-versed in top-notch filters and methods of minimizing the buildup of allergens, airborne illnesses, and even potential toxins.
Benefits of Turning to an HVAC Cleaning and Repair Company
Choosing to work with an air conditioner repair company is not only a way to quickly resolve any issues you are experiencing with your furnace or air conditioning at home, but it’s a way to do so while maintaining your own peace of mind. Working with a reputable, licensed, and insured HVAC company is a way to guarantee that your home’s furnace and air conditioning systems are in the right hands. A few of the most notable benefits of turning to an HVAC heating and air conditioning company include:
- Valuable insight: Gain valuable insight into your existing HVAC system (both air conditioners and furnaces) and discover potential culprits of allergens or other issues you are experiencing
- Trusted professionals: Work with professionals who have not only been working in HVAC for years, but are also licensed, insured, and properly trained. Professionals who are well-versed in HVAC will also help to eliminate the guesswork when determining the root cause of issues you are experiencing.
- Proper tools and equipment: One of the biggest risks of attempting to repair an HVAC issue on your own is the lack of proper equipment and tools. When you turn to a heating & cooling maintenance service you can trust, you can rest assured knowing that they have the tools and equipment necessary to get the job done right.
- Experience: Working together with professionals who specialize in heating and air conditioning means removing the guesswork from determining what’s gone awry with your HVAC system. Those who work in HVAC have often done so for years, if not decades. With the right company, you can easily get to the bottom of any issue you are experiencing with your heating and air conditioning systems in no time.
How HVAC Cleaning and Repair Services Can Help Reduce Allergy Symptoms
Turning to a heating & cooling maintenance company for your home’s own HVAC system is highly recommended even if you do not experience allergies or symptoms of allergies yourself. Maintaining your HVAC system year-round with proper inspections, cleanings, updates, and repairs can help you to keep your system running as efficiently for as long as possible. With an HVAC cleaning and repair company, take advantage of the following services which may help to reduce the overall allergy symptoms you or someone in your home is currently experiencing.
- Inspections: When an HVAC company arrives on-site, they will first begin conducting a thorough inspection. An inspection of the home, its ductwork, and its ventilation system are key for any heating & cooling maintenance professional. Thorough inspections also provide insight into the overall maintenance level of the ducts and vents in the home.
- Cleanings: Once the entire home has been thoroughly inspected and areas of interest have been pinpointed, it is time for a thorough cleaning. Heating & cooling maintenance services that provide cleaning understand the ins and outs of cleaning ducts and vents in the home, depending on the current HVAC system in place. Professionals who work with HVAC systems will immediately know what tools, cleaning products, and methods that should be deployed based on the existing system.
- Repairs and updates: In some instances, a homeowner may require a repair or an update to their HVAC system. This is typically due to a loss of power, aging, or a lack of maintenance over time. When an HVAC system is not able to generate power at an optimal level, allergens and other pollutants can begin to buildup. Inspections and regular cleanings can help you to determine when a repair or an update may be necessary.
Addressing the allergy symptoms you are experiencing at any time whenever you’re inside your home is essential as a homeowner. Knowing how to properly identify the culprit of allergies can also help you to address them in a timely manner. With the right heating and air conditioning provider, maintain your home’s HVAC system year-round with ongoing maintenance, inspections, and cleaning. The right air conditioner repair company can help you to maintain your peace of mind while keeping allergies at bay even during the most triggering times of the year.